Festive Vegan Nut Roast Recipe
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed
- 400g butternut squash peeled, deseeded and cut into 3cm chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the tin
- 2 tbsp za’atar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 200g shelled pistachios roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 100g cooked chestnuts, finely chopped
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 200g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- pomegranate seeds, to serve
Combine the flaxseeds with 4 tbsp water in a small bowl, and leave to thicken. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the squash in a roasting tin with 1 tbsp olive oil, the za’atar, cumin and coriander. Cover the tin with foil and roast for 30-35 mins, or until the squash is tender but still holding its shape. Oil a 900g loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, and fry the onion, celery and mushrooms for 10-15 mins, or until softened. Stir in the garlic and miso paste.
Tip the pistachios, chestnuts, breadcrumbs and parsley into a bowl, then stir in the flaxseed mixture, fried veg and roasted squash. Season well.
Put the cranberries in a pan with the sugar and cook for 3-4 mins, or until the sugar has dissolved and the cranberries are just starting to soften. Spoon into the base of the loaf tin, then leave to stand for 5 mins to set slightly. Top with the nut roast mixture, patting it down firmly and smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Cover with foil and bake for 25 mins, then uncover and bake for 25 mins more. Leave to rest for 15 mins, then invert onto a serving plate, removing the parchment. Top with extra chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds, then serve.